Texas Hunting License Information

Hunting Laws & Safety

Due to the nature of hunting with deadly weapons, safety always come first. Gun safety is first and foremost on the ranch, but your participation and cooperation is paramount to keep safety first.




Every hunter born on or after September 2, 1971, must successfully complete a Hunter Education Training Course, or be accompanied* while hunting. The minimum age of certification is 9 yeard old.


For those born on or after September 2, 1971 and you are:

  • Under the age of 9, you must be accompanied* while hunting.

  • Age 9 through 16, must successfully complete a hunter education course, or you must be accompanied* while hunting.

  • Age 17 and over, must successfully complete a hunter education course, or purchase a "Hunter Education Deferral" and you must be accompanied* while hunting.


Please note that some federal controlled areas require all hunters using that site to have hunter education certification


Keep in mind that some areas are federally controlled and require all hunters to have a Hunter Education Certification. In Texas, this includes the Corps of Engineers property and most military reservations. Always check the area specifications prior to going hunting.


Hunting Education Deferral - $10.00


The hunting education deferral allows hunters, over the age of 17 and with who also completed a hunter education program to defer completition for up to 1 year. A defferal can only be obtained once and is only valid until the end of the current license year. 


If the person has been convicted or has received deferred adjudication for violation of the mandatory hunter education requirment is prohibited from applying for a deferral.


If the course is took before August 31 of the current license year you will receive a $5.00 discount. The one-time Hunter Education Deferral is available at license vendors.


* Accompanied means: While hunting, by a person who is over the age of 17, who owns a license to hunt in the estate of Texas, who passed the hunter education or is exept (born before September 2, 1971), and you must be within normal voice control. Proof of certification or deferral is required to be on your person while hunting.

Note: Certification id not required to purchase a hunting license.


Hunting Outside Texas


Bellow you will find a list of usefull links that will help you learn and know what requirements and laws are applyied in other states.


Hunter Education Requirements in the US and Canada

Bowhunter Education Requirements in other States

International Hunter Education Association


Resident Hunting (Type 101) - $25


Non-resident 5 Day Special Hunting (Type 157) - $48

Legal for any period of 5 consecutive days (valid hunting dates will be printed on the license when issued). Valid to Hunt: Exotic Animals, all legal game birds (except turkeys), all non-game animals, hogs, squirrels, javalina & alligator (not valid for other game animals, NOT VALID FOR DEER). Stamp endorsement requirements apply.


Youth Hunting License (Type 169) - $7

Valid for any person, resudent or non-resident, under the age of 17 at the date of license purchase. Exempt from state stamp requirements, except for reptile and amphibian stamp. License ans state stamp exemptions remain valid for the entire license year.

Texas Hunting Licenses

Keep safety first, no alcohol consumption is permitted until after the night hunt is complete, typically after 10 pm in the evening.


Please enjoy your favorite beverage, but in moderation. No drunkenness allowed.

Alcohol & Safety

Independence Ranch is a full service deer, hog, & exotic game hunting ranch in Central Texas suitable for family, business or ministry events. Browse our website to find more information about our hunting packages, the ranch, lodge and meals.


Have any questions? You are more than welcome to call us at 409-370-3137 or visit our Contact Information page.

For More Information